logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
New Topic Post Reply
Turn Coordinator vs Turn & Bank Indicator
john6wc
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:33:17 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

My turn coordinator in my Decathlon is bad and I was getting ready to replace it.
But after doing a some reading on inverted spins learned that the coordinator may not be the best instrument to have and that the T&B Indicator is. I have never been in a inverted spin and do not plan to be without instruction. So my question to the folks that have is it something that you would take time to find and look at in a inverted spin or do you otherwise. I am new to acro so I am trying to learn as much as I can about the subject.

Thanks,John
Rob Bond
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 11:29:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I can't imagine having my head inside the cockpit in an accidental spin so it wouldn't make any difference to me.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 11:26:34 AM(UTC)

Groups:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)

The main thing is to get good instruction - all aeroplanes bite fools and the Pitts is no exception. I was largely self-taught on the Pitts after an RAF instructing background. It's only by reading these threads recently that I've heard of things like 'letting go of the stick' in spin recovery. I would never have thought of that. In the insanity of my youth (I was 36 at the time) my individual manoeuvre was a lomcevak which I entered from a 45 degree climbing left knife. Being No2 in the team I had little time to climb for energy so I pulled up from about 50ft and never got higher than 750ft before hitting it. By the time I'd had enough and recovered to the down vertical I was about 500ft agl. I executed about 150 of these on display and only 3 went wrong. On each occasion I was in the down vertical with neutral controls and the aircraft was 'rolling' uncommanded. The T&S was my saviour to tell me whether the spin was erect or inverted - as per RAF training I applied rudder to oppose the direction indicated by the turn needle - if that was opposing the visual turn I was 'erect' and vice versa. Worked every time so I'm here to tell you. (Maybe if I'd just let go of everything and then pushed the rudder pedal that 'drifted' up to me all would have been well - but how would I have known whether the spin was erect or inverted?)
Now I'm older I realise how stupid I was in those days. I'm a rare animal - an old bold pilot.
Happy safe aggressive flying to you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
Rss Feed  Atom Feed