logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
New Topic Post Reply
Extra 230 with Staudacher Ailerons- Hinge Failure
Acroeric
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:58:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I recently purchased an Extra 230, flew it a few times and decided to take it down for a complete restoration, I discovered all 6 of my aileron hinges (hinge portion attached to the aileron) to be cracked. The hinges in question are made from an aluminum extrusion and show evidence of very minimal maintenance. The cracks run from bolt hole to bolt hole. The longer center hinge is also cracked. The rod end hinge bolts were all that was holding the aileron hinge together. The ailerons were Staudacher and have been in operation on the aircraft for 600 hours without incident.
No damage to the ailerons or wing is noted. Damage to my shorts was catastrophic as I thought of my last flight in the airplane.

It is important to note that this aircraft has been flown in advanced and higher competition and was in need of significant maintenance. Normal wear items had been allowed to progress far beyond acceptable practices.

I'll add a few pictures and follow up with a more detailed summary of my findings as time allows.

It is critical for all of us to remember that these high performance machines MUST be maintained to a higher standard. We have to remove flight controls, look at bearings, inspect hinges, replace worn parts etc BEFORE they break. Everything I found could have been identified long before it got to be this bad. I got lucky. I probably used up all my luck on this one.
File Attachment(s):
DSCN1133.JPG (3,430kb) downloaded 208 time(s).
DSCN1137.JPG (3,227kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
Eric Minnis
Bully Aero
IAC 26912
Burlington, NC

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
Rss Feed  Atom Feed