logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
New Topic Post Reply
Spark Plugs
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:40:13 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My AEIO-360-A1A currently has REM40E but some have suggested switching to REM37E (colder) plugs to reduce rough running and fouling. Anyone had any experience or expertise on this?

Pittsspecial
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:29:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have the O-360 A-4a. I use the UREM-40E. My plugs need cleaning all the time, however I am reluctant to change as these are the suggested plug. . Do you adjust your mixture on the ground and in the air?

That may be the difference.
Marshall@SkyDynamics
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:06:11 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Of all the aviation plugs we've tested, the best performing ones have been REM37BY's. Although to me, "rough running and fouling" sounds like a fueling issue that just happens to be showing up on the plugs.

Marshall
2 users thanked Marshall@SkyDynamics for this useful post.
Gjunkie1 on 6/8/2011(UTC), AntCB on 6/11/2011(UTC)
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2011 10:19:22 AM(UTC)

Groups:

Marshall@SkyDynamics wrote:
Of all the aviation plugs we've tested, the best performing ones have been REM37BY's. Although to me, "rough running and fouling" sounds like a fueling issue that just happens to be showing up on the plugs.

Marshall

If you look at the list of plugs available, the one listed for the AEIO-360 or AEIO-540 will always list the part numbers that end with -BY. This is the aerobatic engines and this is the plug for these engines. My problems went away when I started to use these plugs.

Ken
AntCB
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:10:02 AM(UTC)

Man

Marshall thanks for that info, I posted the original question but forgot to log in. When you say better performance with the -BY, what do you mean and why are they better?

Ken, what problems were you having with the before you switched?

I think that my problem is that the fuel servo is set up too rich because as soon as I pull the mixture out it runs smooth as and gain a lot of power. Won't know until I put the EGT on it I guess.

Cheers
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 6:33:13 AM(UTC)

Groups:

From Champion: BY is for lead fouling.

I personally agressively lean on the ground, and do a short lean runup before shut down. Have not experienced any problems. PO did not lean on ground and fought rough running/idle.
larry
#7 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 8:41:29 AM(UTC)

Groups:

When my engine (0360-A1A) had a fresh OH and the rings were not yet seated I had lots of fouled plugs. This is when I went to the BY (or aerobatic) plugs. Took about 40 hours for the rings to seat, but the oil did not foul these plugs to the point of rough running engine. Could be that the spark is out in the open... not down in a tunnel. Not an expert on spark plugs, but now have 160 hours on this engine and never had a fouled plug. I service the plugs every 40 to 50 hours.
Majurpain
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:24:27 AM(UTC)

Man

In heat range, a 37 is cooler than a 38 which is cooler than a 40. Thus, a 40 would be expected to be better for reducing fouling than a lower number plug. HOWEVER, the REM-37-BY is specifically designed for reducing fouling and does so better than the higher heat range plugs. As referenced above, the -37-BY also allows your O-360/IO-360 to make a bit more power than the REM-40 or fine wire plugs. They are on the Lycoming list as an approved plug for 360 engines. This list can be found if you google for 'Lycoming engine spark plug service instruction'
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
Rss Feed  Atom Feed