logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
New Topic Post Reply
Technical Inspections - Battery Installation
GaryDeBaun
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:56:19 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
During a recent aerobatic contest where I was the Tech I ran across a Pitts in the Advance catagory where the battery (behind the seat) was secured only with TIE-WRAPS. This was a full size battery...Yes the battery was sitting in a tray, but that was all. I was dumb-founded that the pilot had been flying Advanced like this for some time. To further the issue several other pilots looked at it and thought nothing of it - and actually joked about it.
Folks....this was a fatal accident just waiting to happen.

Nobody wants to keep a person who has flown half-way across the country from competing - HOWEVER - you can not just turn your head the other way and ignore it. It was VERY discuraging that some folks did just that. I asked how it had got by other Tech Inspections - the reply was "nobody ever looks back there"... I do not feel this is acceptable in our sport - the Tech Inspection is taken way to lightly - it IS our last chance to help avoid and accident. Over my 31 years in the sport I have found many and I mean many issues during tech inspections - my criteria is this: If I find somthing that would NOT pass an Annual or Condition Inspection I certainly will not let it slide for aerobatic flight. Let's take a little more time in our Tech Inspections guys...and don't let ANYONE tell you somthing is OK when you know it is not...
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2015 10:05:39 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good call De Baun
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
Rss Feed  Atom Feed